Our Dogs at Christmas

Helping our dogs at Christmas

Keeping our dogs safe during the festive season.

The run-up to Christmas is a time of year for most when the household dynamics change. From our dog’s point of view, humans are moving around a lot more with higher levels of stress and enthusiasm.

The number of visitors entering the house and the added novelty items arriving there will likely increase.

Christmas trees, decorations, lights and more can all start to stack up stress, even in the most laid-back companions.

Below, we will look at some of these and how to reduce them for our dogs.

Somewhere quiet for our dogs

Ensure your dog has a safe and quiet area in the house. Somewhere, they can withdraw themselves or by your invitation. Nice and quiet away from the hustle and bustle, allowing them to wind down and relax.

Remember, too, that your visitors may not be Dog Wise. Visitors could leave plates of food or drinks lying around on the floor, so keep an eye out for these types of mishaps.

All that yummy food!

There are some food and other favourite items at Christmas time which are poisonous or harmful to our dogs. Let’s take a look at some of them, but remember, this is not a full list. If you’re not sure best to check.

Christmas food not for our dogs!

Chocolate, Currents, Raisins, Grapes, Sultanas, Mince Pies, Fruit Cake, Macadamia and other nuts, Blue Cheese, Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Shallots, and Chives all contain substances that are poisonous to our dogs.

A festive overindulgence of rich, fatty foods can lead to a bout of vomiting and diarrhoea.

In more severe cases, such overeating could lead to pancreatitis.

Cooked bones are another big problem for dogs, although mostly not poisonous. Once cooked, bones become brittle, shatter easily and are dangerous. These shards of bones are sharp and have caused significant internal damage to dogs and other animals.

Always make sure you dispose of any bones and carcasses into the outside bins and out of reach of temptation.

Christmas Decorations and Presents

Although most Christmas trees themselves are low toxicity to dogs, the needles can contain oils that are irritating and can lead to excessive salivation, vomiting and diarrhoea if chewed or swallowed. The needles are also sharp and can cause physical damage internally and externally.

Tinsel, lights and baubles can look like great toys to our dogs but can quickly cause serious injury, so are best kept out of reach.

Christmas Presents and gifts

Shiny, interesting parcels can be enticing to puppies especially. Tinsel, labels and wrapping paper are very tempting indeed to chew up.

Dogs who are sound-sensitive can have real stress caused by party poppers and crackers. So be aware of your dog’s needs and reactions during the festive period.

Batteries and silica gel sachets can be on the floor during the fun of the unwrapping of presents. If swallowed, these can cause blockages.

In the case of batteries, if the dog chews and punctures it, this can cause chemical burns or worse. Children’s toys are more likely to be left lying around during this period, too and can become chewed and unsafe for both dog and child.

Decorative Plants and our dogs

Daffodils, Holly, Ivy, Lillies, Mistletoe, Poinsettia and Potpourri, are all poisonous in various degrees along with many other household plants. Best to keep plants up out of the way to avoid any tempting nibbles.

In conclusion, for our dogs at Christmas

Households can get busy and full of energy. Our dogs are part of our families too, and as much as it suits them individually can be involved. With some simple and easy management, we can ensure everyone is safe and ready to enjoy this festive time of year.

Preparations are completed, and presents are ready. Bella keeps sniffing hers out! I’ll be out walking and exploring with Bella on the big day itself. How are you planning to prepare for Christmas with your dogs?

Read More: The Dogs Environment

Scroll to Top